top of page
Search

Behind the Scenes - Life in the Roman-German settlement

This is our latest project, created in collaboration with an archaeologist, the local village, and the visualization studio ZORE. We used our nature models called Blender Trees 1.0 as well as some purchased and photoscanned assets.



(Hi)Story before renders


A small village in the heart of Europe is planning to construct an Archaeopark dedicated to the Roman period. This park will serve as a presentation and educational area, featuring evocative reconstructions of structures from the Roman-Germanic settlement. Archaeopark will be open to the public and visitors, functioning as an open-air museum with seasonal activities (f.e. creating ceramics, and preparing authentic period dishes…).


Currently, Archeopark is under construction, and the village authorities have approached us with the idea of visualizing the future appearance of the site.




An interesting aspect of this collaboration was our meeting with archaeologists, during which they presented their findings, shared the story of uncovering the site, and provided numerous fascinating historical facts and hypotheses about the locality. The buildings marked with numbers will be reconstructed on the opposite bank of the river, not on the actual discovery site.


Before starting the project, we created renders of a fictional village to showcase our ability to create historical settings. In these renders of the village, we incorporated animals and various assets we sourced online that align with the era they aim to recreate in Archeopark.




This first village took us about one week to create. We made sure it was

worth including in our portfolio. We used a lot of photo-scanned items to achieve realism.


render 01:


render 02:


We wanted to bring life into renders by using animals like bees, chickens, and sheep. Renders were created it Blender + Octane


render 03:


We also created a virtual tour for this non existing village to better show what they can expect from us: https://www.zorestudio.com/archeological-museum


After they selected us, we constructed the actual structures and generated the final renders. We excluded animals from the renders for the review process. We worked again with photo-scanned assets. The important part was texturing - the main focus was on roof tiles, wood, and plaster.



As they want to attract visitors, they are planning to reconstruct a nearby mill with many activities, demonstrations, and performances depicting life back then. We also assisted with the visualization of this part of the Archeopark project.

In front of the Mill, there is a garden that had to include trees and plants according to the Landscaping plan - we used our Blender Trees 1.0.

For a long time, we experimented with the right light setup for the scene.

Proper lighting is crucial, so we opted for the early morning sun to cast long shadows, making the objects stand out and achieving a pleasant 'feel'.


The final render of Archeoskanzen is now hanging on the site fence.

Passers-by can now see how the area should look in the near future.


This was rendered in 300% of HD quality so it looks good printed out.


And we created some close-ups just for us :)


Let us know what you think!

95 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page